Preparing Your Home For Showings
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Make sure that buyers see the very best your home has to offer. I will provide you with advice for how to stage or enhance your particular property, however these are some good general guidelines.
- Lawn & Garden: mow, trim, weed, clean away any dead foliage.
- Extra vehicles: remove from curb view.
- Clean windows and sills.
- Keep walks and driveways clear of snow and debris.
- Repair doors and windows, screens and hardware.
- Clean decks and repair or paint siding and fencing as needed.
- Place a new doormat at the entrance door.
- Add potted flowers, seasonally appropriate.
- Add new house number or door fixture if yours is tarnished. Give a fresh coat of paint to the front door.
BATHROOMS & KITCHEN:
- Tidy counters, clean extra appliances, accessories, etc.
- Clean cupboards, medicine cabinets. Pack extras away.
- Clean cupboards inside and out.
- Check light switches and fixtures.
- Clean away any mildew in shower or around tub and
Fix grout and caulking as needed.
- Repair faucets, toilets or any leaking or dripping taps.
- Freshly paint if needed
- Use fresh towels and replace the shower curtain with
- a new white or neutral colour.
- Display attractive scented soaps
- All garbages should be empty
LIVING/DINING ROOMS, BEDROOMS & HALLWAYS:
- Repair ceiling and wall cracks, repaint.
- Keep hallways and foyers clear of obstacles.
- Put all unnecessary or out-of-season coats, boots etc. away.
- Re-arrange furniture for openness. I will help you with this.
- Straighten book shelves, store some away to make space.
- Clear and polish coffee tables and all surfaces.
- Tidy play areas, arrange children’s bedrooms to look fun and inviting.
- If you have a fireplace, arrange for it to be cleaned and lit during cooler weather.
- Arrange fresh flowers around the house.
- Put linens on table, perhaps place a setting on dining room table.
- Have artwork on the walls, it can have a huge effect on the look of a room.
- Tidy and organize. Make sure door opener works.
- Sweep floors, clean any grease spots, store garden tools.
- Hang hooks for brooms, racks, bikes, and additional tools
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Many purchases are made on an emotional basis. Keep your home warm and cozy, if in winter, or cool and fresh, if in summer, so it feels inviting!
- Open drapes and blinds – keep rooms and hallways bright and cheerful.
- Leave your lights on for showings
- Clean your closets – show off how spacious they really are.
- Be scrupulous about wastebaskets, garbage bins and litter boxes.
- Cigarette smoke is offensive to many. Keep ashtrays washed, and only smoke outdoors.
- Use exterior lights at night. Your home will look more inviting.